Play resumed where it left off yesterday after play was called due to ugly weather conditions. Once things started to warm up this morning and the snow melted, things got underway shortly after noon today at the WGC Accenture Match Play Championships. As we expect from the match play format, the pressure was on today as players fought to stay alive through round one and move on to round 2 of the tournament.
I made my round one predictions earlier this week (through the Golf Channel Bracket Challenge), which always makes it that much more thrilling to watch, as I jump out of my seat to cheer on my picks. At the end of the day, we saw some great golf and several unexpected upsets including both Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy being eliminated. All but two matches were completed today, Carl Pettersson (1UP) through 17 over Rickie Fowler and Francesco Molinari - Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano are all square through 15. View the complete match-up scores from round one here.
Here's a look at the match-ups for tomorrows round two, along with my renewed match-up predictions.
Bobby Jones Bracket
- S.Lowry Vs (Fowler or Pettersson) - ?
- A.Noren Vs G.McDowell - G.McDowell
- B.Watson Vs J.Furyk - B.Watson
- R.Henley Vs J.Day - J.Day
Ben Hogan Bracket
- L.Oosthuizen Vs R.Garrigus - L.Oosthuizen
- M.Fraser Vs F.Jacobson - F.Jacobson
- J.Rose Vs N.Colsaerts - N.Colsaerts
- S.Garcia Vs M.Kuchar - M.Kuchar
Gary Player Bracket
- C.Howell Vs (Fernandez-Castano or Molinari) - ?
- W.Simpson Vs P.Hanson - W.Simpson
- R.Cabrera-B Vs M.Kaymer - M.Kaymer
- R.Sterne Vs H.Mahan - H.Mahan
Sam Snead Bracket
- L.Donald Vs S.Piercy - L.Donald
- S.Stricker Vs N.Watney - S.Stricker
- T.Clark Vs T.Olesen - T.Olesen
- I.Poulter Vs B.Van Pelt - B.Van Pelt
Play will resume tomorrow morning where they'll finish up the final two matches of round 1, as well as (fingers crossed) complete both round 2 and round 3 of the tournament. Be sure to tune into the action tomorrow on the Golf Channel!