Friday, November 15, 2013

Phil Mickelson Visits Golf Channel Morning Drive

Phil Mickelson talks with Morning Drive co-hosts Gary Williams and Charlie Rymer.  Courtesy of Golf Channel.

Were you watching the Golf Channel this morning?  Phil Mickelson joined Morning Drive in-studio today and discussed a variety of topics, including:
  • Open Championship and Scottish Open wins with his family by his side 
  • Looking back at the 1999 U.S. Open at Pinehurst and his preparations for the 2014 U.S. Open 
  • His upcoming schedule and thoughts on his game from tee to green – including driving and chipping.  
  • KPMG CEO John Veihmeyer also joined Mickelson to discuss the KPMG’s ‘Reading Relay’ Initiative and the Blue Hat to Support Youth Literacy Campaign, all part of KPMG’s Family for Literacy Program.

Here's a few noteable quotes from the segment:

On his Open Championship victory and his 3-wood 2nd shot on the par-5 17th:
“At some point during every golf tournament, you are going to have to man up and hit a shot.  You are going to have to pull off a critical shot, whether it is that 3-wood [on 17], the shot in the pine straw at 13 at Augusta, at some point you are going to have to man up if you are going to win a tournament.”

On what Phil told his caddie -  Jim “Bones” Mackay – during their embrace after winning the Open Championship:
“I did it, I can’t believe I did it.’  It was the greatest feeling to accomplish winning this Open Championship, because I would go there each year, but I would only play a couple of weeks each year to try to really perfect links golf and the shots that are needed.  Having that trophy there with Bones and going through a 20-year process to try to achieve that, it was the greatest, most fulfilling moment of my career, because I was never positive that I would win this tournament.”

On his family at the Open Championship to Celebrate his Victory:
“This time, they [Mickelson’s kids] looked at me like I was cool.  Like, ‘My Dad is kind of cool.’  I haven’t remembered seeing that look.  They didn’t know what was going on before, and they saw me win at the highest level at such a prestigious event.  And they looked at me as though, their dad was kind of cool.  And at their age, at 14, 12 and 10 is not that common, so that was really neat.”

On the 1999 U.S. Open and his Preparations for the 2014 U.S. Open at Pinehurst:
“1999 is a tournament I will always remember, and I will actually cherish, too, because a lot of great things came from that event, even though it was a heartbreaking loss…It just turned out the way it was supposed to, and hopefully I will be able to go back there next year and take some of that emotion and apply it to my game and play well and capture my first U.S. Open.”

On Mickelson’s Preparations for Major Championships
“When you go play your home course and you hit a tee shot, before you get to your ball you know what shot you have…That is what I am trying to get, is develop that same local knowledge as I would on my home course.”

On Reducing his Schedule Going Forward
“The first half of the season won’t be too different…My performance levels off and goes down a little bit as we get into the second half of the year…So I think where the changes are going to have to take place are the second half of the year.”

On the 2016 Olympics
“It is a big motivating factor and is a big goal of mine.  To become an Olympic athlete, especially at the age of 46, would be an incredibly experience…In 2015 and 2016 I envision myself going at it pretty hard to make that push to make the Olympic Team.  I think that would be a life experience that I would cherish.”

Blue Hat Initiative
In conjunction with KPMG, Mickelson spoke about their 'Blue Hat' initiate to Support Youth Literacy Campaign: “It really is a sexy hat.  But it has also created a great bond [with fans] because when I see that hat, and when I see somebody in the crowd wearing that hat, it creates kind of a bond or a relationship between us.  An intimacy that you don’t normally get.  Seeing that hat, it just stands out and it is identifiable.”


Mickelson also discusses how technology is helping improve his game; have a look...

No comments:

Post a Comment