The Golf Channel and NBC Sports Group continue to make leaps and bounds with their golf coverage. This past week was the 2nd most watched U.S. Open Week of all time!
GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s Final Round Coverage
Pulls 8.4 Million Viewers, +14% from last East Coast U.S Open
at Congressional Country Club in 2011
GolfChannel.com Scores Most-Clicked Week Ever
for Unique Visitors, Page Views and Video Starts
ORLANDO, Fla. (June 20, 2013) – GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s tournament coverage and Golf Channel’s news programming scored record audiences for the USGA’s U.S. Open, America’s National Golf Championship, which was held last week at the historic Merion Golf Club near Philadelphia. GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s weekend tournament coverage was the most-watched East Coast U.S. Open in six years (since 2007 at Oakmont Country Club), while Golf Channel posted the network’s most-watched U.S. Open Week ever for an East Coast event (second most-watched U.S. Open Week of all-time behind last year’s event at The Olympic Club in San Francisco), according to data released today by The Nielsen Company.
“With this year’s U.S. Open, the USGA created a complete test of golf, as well as reintroduced the historic Merion Golf Club to fans worldwide,” said Mark Lazarus, Chairman, NBC Sports Group. “Our marketing and promotional teams, combined with Tommy Roy and our exceptional production team, throughout the week on Golf Channel and NBC gave fans a great viewing experience of our national championship.”
NBC Sports Group’s comprehensive coverage of the U.S. Open was highlighted by:
GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC Weekend Coverage:
- GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s final round coverage on Sunday delivered 8.4 million average viewers(5.4 rating), making it the best East Coast final round at the U.S. Open since 2007 at Oakmont Country Club and +14% more than 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club (4.5).
- GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s final round coverage peaked with 13.7 million average viewers (8.4 rating) on Sunday from 7-7:30 p.m. ET.
- GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s Weekend Coverage delivered 6.8 million average viewers, making it the most-watched East Coast U.S. Open since 2007 at Oakmont Country Club.
- GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s Weekend Coverage reached 31 million viewers.
- GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s third round coverage on Saturday delivered 5.4 million average viewers (3.7 rating), which was the best East Coast U.S. Open third round since 2007 at Oakmont Country Club and was +17% over 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club (3.1).
- GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s early round coverage on Thursday from 3-5 p.m. ET delivered 2.45 million average viewers (1.8 rating). This was +34% more than 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club and was the most-watched Thursday East Coast U.S. Open coverage since 2005 at Pinehurst.
- GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC’s early round coverage on Friday from 3-5 p.m. ET delivered 2.79 million average viewers (2.0 rating). This was +52% more than 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club and was the most-watched Friday East Coast U.S. Open coverage since 2009 at Bethpage Black.
Golf Channel LIVE FROM THE U.S. OPEN Week:
- LIVE FROM THE U.S. OPEN drove Golf Channel to its second most-watched U.S. Open Week of all time, behind last year’s event at The Olympic Club. This also represents the most-watched U.S. Open Week for Golf Channel from any East Coast venue.
- Golf Channel reached 9.1 million viewers across last week, +24% vs. 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club.
- LIVE FROM THE U.S. OPEN programming reached more than 7 million total viewers for the week (+15% vs. 2011).
- MORNING DRIVE content reached almost 2 million viewers (1.9mil) – setting a new weekly high for the daily morning show in 2013.
- LEE TREVINO: AN AMERICAN CHAMPION, which showcased the 1971 U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club, has reached 1.4 million viewers to date with premieres on NBC on Sunday, June 9 and Golf Channel on Monday, June 17, making it the most-viewed Golf Channel-produced documentary in 2013.
GolfChannel.com’s and Golf Channel Mobile’s Coverage of U.S. Open:
- GolfChannel.com scored its most-clicked week ever for page views (14.98 million, +56% YOY), unique visitors (2.37 million, +12% YOY), and video starts (2.84 million, +358% YOY).
- Golf Channel Mobile scored its second most-clicked week ever for page views (10.17 million, +35% YOY) and unique visitors (440K, +36% YOY).
Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia Coverage of U.S. Open:
- Throughout the week, the NBC Sports Regional Networks provided local fans with a robust lineup of news and analysis via Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia.
- CSN Philadelphia’s U.S. Open-dedicated programming generated 3.8 ratings points, which translates to more than 112,000 households within the network’s Philadelphia-area footprint.
NBC10 Coverage of U.S. Open Week for Philadelphia DMA:
- NBC10’s weekend coverage of the U.S. Open was #1 for Adults 25-54 and Men 25-54 across all Nielsen LPM markets.
- NBC10’s coverage of the U.S. Open was the #1 in the time period for both Thursday and Friday (3-5 PM) among Adults 25-54 and Men 25-54.
- NBC10’s TEE OFF AT MERION special on Saturday night following the U.S. Open was the #1 program in the time period among Adults 25-54.
NBC SPORTS GROUP
When the Comcast-NBCUniversal transaction was completed in January 2011, the sports assets of the two companies combined to form NBC Sports Group, which serves sports fans 24/7 with premier live events, insightful studio shows, and compelling original programming. The sports media company consists of a unique array of broadcast television, cable television, radio and digital sports assets, including NBC Sports, NBC Olympics, NBC Sports Network, Golf Channel, 11 NBC Sports Regional Networks, two regional news networks, NBC Sports Radio and all of their respective digital properties. NBC Sports Group possesses an unparalleled collection of television rights agreements, partnering with some of the most prestigious sports properties in the world: the International Olympic Committee and United States Olympic Committee, the NFL, NHL, PGA TOUR, PGA of America, USGA, Churchill Downs, Premier League, MLS, Tour de France, French Open, Formula One, IndyCar and many more.
As the fastest-growing network on television, Golf Channel is a multimedia, golf entertainment and services company based in Orlando, Fla. The Golf Channel cable network, co-founded by Arnold Palmer in 1995 and part of the NBC Sports Group, is available in more than 120 million homes worldwide through cable, satellite and wireless companies. Exclusive partnerships with the world’s top tours allow Golf Channel to feature more live golf coverage than all other networks combined, added to a programming schedule distinguished by golf’s best news, instruction and original programming. Golf Channel’s digital platform of businesses is led by www.GolfChannel.com, a leading golf destination on the Internet, delivering unmatched coverage of the world of golf, as well as services that help the recreational player with how to play, what to play and where to play golf.
COMCAST SPORTSNET PHILADELPHIA
Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, part of the NBC Sports Group, is the leading regional sports network in greater Philadelphia, Southern New Jersey and Delaware, serving more than three million households. Together with The Comcast Network, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia provides local sports fans with more than 550 live game broadcasts of the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers, NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, MLB’s Philadelphia Phillies, MLS’s Philadelphia Union, plus NCAA coverage, as well as Emmy Award-winning sports news, analysis and original programming. For more information Visit www.CSNPhilly.com.
Owned by NBCUniversal, NBC10 Philadelphia / WCAU has been delivering local news, information, and entertainment to the Delaware Valley for over 60 years, serving nearly six million viewers throughout Greater Philadelphia, the Lehigh Valley, southern New Jersey and Delaware. Viewers turn to NBC10 for the most up-to-date news and breaking news stories of the day, weather, sports and consumer headlines across a variety of platforms, including online at nbc10.com and via mobile and social channels. COZI TV, the station’s digital network, offers a full schedule of America’s most beloved and iconic television series, hit movies and original programming. COZI TV can be seen locally on Comcast 248, Verizon 460 and over-the-air at 10.2. Other properties of NBC10 include StudioTEN Creative Group, the station’s full-service production facility.
– NBC Sports Group –