Saturday, September 11, 2010

Golf Fashion - Do's and Don'ts

Golf has always been known for its somewhat strict etiquette including several fashion do's and don'ts... no tank tops, no hats in the clubhouse, shorts must be a certain length, no jeans allowed on the course, etc etc.  

A few years ago while I while working for a golf club manufacturer, I had a personal run in with an apparent fashion faux pas.  While on a corporate retreat in Las Vegas, contending with blistering heat, I was happy to have brought along my FootJoy golf sandals.  As I greeted the owner of the company at the beautiful Lake Las Vegas golf course, it was as though I had slapped him in the face, as he sported a look of disgust at the idea that I would have even considered wearing golf sandals.  Needless to say, I didn't wear them again during our trip.

Yesterday during the BMW Championship, leader Ryan Moore tested golfs fashion acceptance when he wore a hoodie (as seen in the image here).  Even though he looked very stylish, it seems to have created an uproar with many golf enthusiasts.  I've never claimed to be a fashion expert, but I personally don't see the big deal.  As long as you look presentable, I don't see how this is any more offensive than say... John Daly's pants?  From all of us at Eat Sleep Golf, good luck with the remainder of the tournament Ryan!  

2 comments:

  1. I've gone back and forth on golf fashion over the years. I used to be in favor of the traditional golf attire (think Ben Hogan). But now I've come around a bit. To me it's more about how a player carries himself / herself versus how they look, no? If someone acts professionally and gentlemanly but wears wild clothes, that's better than the opposite, right?

    Thoughts?

    Brant Kasbohm, PGA
    Director of Instruction
    www.Fixyourgame.com
    info@fixyourgame.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great input Brant, and I would have to agree with that statement. First and foremost golfers need to act professionally and respectfully while on (and off) the course. The same professionalism is expected with regards to fashion. I recommend a "business casual" style while on the course.

    ReplyDelete