Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Do hockey players make good golfers?

As someone who grew up playing hockey and later taking up golf in my twenties, I found several of the fundamentals to be quite similar. Although the finer details of my game were rusty at best, several hockey skills came in handy like hand eye coordination, weight transfer and follow through. It got me wondering how many hockey players indulge in the great game of golf, and more importantly, how good are they at it.

As it turns out there are a lot of NHL players who take their hockey skills to the golf course during the summer months, and believe it or not, they're quite good at it. Here's a quick look at the top 10 hockey players handicap list (Name/Handicap):

1. Brett Hull 0.0
2. Marc Savard 0.6
3. Jamie Langenbrunner 0.8
4. John Michael Liles 0.8
5. Mario Lemieux 1.1
6. Mike Modano 1.3
7. Joe Sakic 2.3
8. Brenden Morrow 3.5
9. Michael Cammalleri 3.6
10. Cam Neely 3.7

So, if you or your loved ones enjoy hockey during the winter months, you might want to give golf a try. Now that we know NHLers enjoy hitting the links during the summer, I wonder how many PGA players strap on skates in the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Every time I hit one in the woods or plunk one into the drink, I feel like I'm being checked into the boards...so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... I know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete