Thursday, April 21, 2011

Swing Guru - Q & A

Thanks to those who've submitted questions for our Swing Guru! As always keep them coming via email at: swingguru@eatsleepgolf.ca

Question: What kind of pre-season exercises can you recommend prior to the courses in my area opening up? Are there any at home exercises that I can do to help limber up for the season?

Please keep in mind that I'm not a physical therapist or trainer so please do your own research and / or consult your own experts as necessary.  With that disclaimer out of the way, increases in your strength and flexibility will not only improve your game, but will also help prevent injuries.  Not to mention the benefit for your overall health and lifestyle. 

So I strongly recommend stretching and strength training with an emphasis on the core muscles--abdominals, back, shoulders, glutes and hamstrings.  There are dozens of exercises and stretches that can help with this.  Personally, I prefer light free weights to help prevent injury and to ensure a full range of motion.  I've also started to do basic yoga to help improve flexibility.  It's also important to pay attention to your posture both on and off the golf course.  If you work at a desk job, your posture can get relaxed over time and that can severely limit your flexibility.


Question: I'm a weekend golfer, and looking to get a new set of clubs. I'm more or less a bogey golfer, would I be overstepping my boundaries to be looking at purchasing a set of blade irons?

My initial thought is that yes, you would be overstepping to purchase a set of blade irons.  Personally, I've never understood why anyone would play clubs that are less forgiving.  I've heard the countless claims that blades are more "workable" than cavity-back irons, but that simply doesn't make sense to me.  If I hit the ball with the face open, it will slice, regardless of whether the club is a blade or a cavity-back.  If my clubface is closed, the ball will hook.  I've also heard that blades will give the player more "feedback" than game-improvement irons.  This also does no make sense to me because ball flight and the results of the shot are the ultimate source of feedback, not how the club "feels".  Some people like blades for aesthetic reasons, and I can't argue that, but will say that there are several models of forged, cavity-back irons that look like blades.  I also find it strange that many traditionalists will play blades, but nobody still uses persimmon woods or balata balls!

It's my experience that most people that play blades are doing so for ego reasons.  Personally, I'd rather let me scorecard do the talking!  My recommendation would be to get custom fit for your irons to make sure you have the correct lie angle and shaft flex, and then take advantage of technology with a set of cavity-back irons.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For Swing Guru questions, please email swingguru@eatsleepgolf.ca. EatSleepGolf.ca’s Swing Guru is PGA Professional Brant Kasbohm, Director of Instruction at www.FixYourGame.com, where you can get affordable, personalized, professional golf instruction over the Internet, and at your convenience.
 

1 comment:

  1. Golf bag is one of the accessories necessary that all players must have. Are essential because they can contain and protect the clubs, tees, balls, shoes and other accessories that can fit inside this book very useful. And if you know how to choose the right one, this accessory can be one of the most elegant of running your golf game.

    ReplyDelete