Friday, February 24, 2012

G.O.L.F. Book Review


I've heard several variations of what the term 'golf' stands for... gentlemen only ladies forbidden, God offers love and forgiveness... but according to Mr. Luoma, the author of G.O.L.F., it stands for Greatest of Life's Frustrations.  I can attest to that!

This book, G.O.L.F. - Greatest of Life's Frustrations is meant to be 'A lighthearted look at one of the world's most frustrating and yet beloved games'.  I was hooked after reading the title.  I know from first hand experience how frustrating the game of golf can be, and how important it is to keep a lighthearted perspective.  This book looks at the realistic frustrations in the game of golf, and allows you to appreciate them in a whole new light.  If you make it through this book without smirking at least once, I'll be utterly shocked.

I found it really easy to relate to the topics covered in this book, and often found myself wondering if I was the subject in many of the chapters.  In Chapter 5: 'Mother nature, Not so motherly' I found myself nodding my head in agreement, because living in Canada, I know far to well the highs and lows relating to mother nature's mood swings.  Rain, wind, snow, sleet, hail, I've seen it all.  Here's a tip from Lee Trevino for such occasions... "If you're caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightening, hold up a one iron.  Not even God can hit a one iron."

Other chapters that kept me smiling included "If it weren't for bad luck...", "Warning!  Hazardous to your health (mental)" and "Be the ball".  From start to finish, this book kept my interest, had me smiling, nodding and genuinely enjoying a new perspective on a game that I know and love.  If you're a golfer, you'll definitely be able to relate to this book; and if you're a none golfer, I'm sure reading it will help you to understand and relate to the golfers in your life.

Mr. Luoma said it best "G.O.L.F. can often seem like the Greatest of Life's Frustrations but it can also be a game of limitless fun.  It is, in my humble opinion, still THE greatest game the good Lord ever created."

You can purchase Mr. Luoma's book on the G.O.L.F. website, along with some other merchandise, including framed prints from the awesome artwork contained within its pages.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment